Historic Buildings within Kellerberrin
This impressive building was the second post office to be built in Kellerberrin, replacing the original Post Office that was built on the site where Roshana Care Groups Dryandra now stands. Although constructed in 1912 the Post Office was not officially opened until 7th March 1913. The tender for the construction was let to Messrs W & J Parkes of Kalgoorlie for 2,882 pounds 9 shillings and 8 pence. This grand building now is a private residence with business space at the front and is currently on the market.
This building was originally built as an Agricultural Hall in 1897, for the cost of 250 pounds. Today this historic hall serves as the local Museum, The Pioneer Museum can be located on Leake Street and features local memorabilia as well as old farming machinery and implements within the grounds.
Originally constructed for the Commercial Bank for a cost of 1,224 pounds, the bank was built in 1912. The building was named Massingham House after Caleb Massingham a pioneer of the Kellerberrin District. In 1942 the building was bought by Mr George Bevan who lived in the quarters and operated a dental clinic from the offices for several years. The building is now a private residence.
St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church
Located on James Street Kellerberrin this historic church was built for a cost of 1,135 pounds and opened on the 15th October 1916. Prior to the opening of the church mass was held at either the Agricultural Hall or the private residence of Mr and Mrs Wood. A parish was not established until 1910 with Father John O’Reilly as the first parish priest.
Originally a Methodist Church, the building was constructed and opened in 1910. The Reverend Fred Finch, the first Methodist Minister in the district, laid the Foundation Stone. The front porch was added in 1939 and rear hall in the 1960s.
The Anglican Church of Australia, St John the Baptist, Kellerberrin. The Foundation Stone was laid by Hon. James Mitchell M.L.A., on 16th February 1910, in 1963 the church was closed by the Public Works Department after it had become unsafe due to winter flooding.
Old Kellerberrin Fire Station
The old Kellerberrin fire station was constructed from granite stone quarried from the Kellerberrin Hill. Work on the building commenced in April 1914 and the station was officially opened on the 27th October 1914. The project cost 590 pounds, with extensions to the building carried out in 1935 at a cost of 700 pounds. As Kellerberrin did not have a Town Hall the Fire Station was used for a variety of social events over the years, as well as weekly dances to help raise funds during the Second World War. The brigade has now moved to new premises on Leake St, the old building once housed the Telecentre, Library and Vehicle Licensing Centre and is now privately owned.
Kellerberrin National Australia Bank
The National Australia Bank building can be located on Massingham Street. This grand building was built in 1910-1911. Construction of the bank premises was complete in February, 1911 and the official opening took place on 22 February. NAB bought this site in 1908. Prior to that, the bank operated out of temporary premises. NAB still resides in this building and is the only operating bank in town at present.