Close this search box.

Enviro Health

Public Health

The Shire of Kellerberrin Environmental Health Services seeks to protect public health by monitoring a diverse range of public and environmental issues through the Public Health Act 2016 and other associated legislation. We also provide a wide range of technical advice and aim to improve the quality of life within the community through preventative measures.


Noise can seriously disrupt people’s lives, causing loss of sleep, interference to activities and emotional stress. The Environmental Protections (Noise) Regulations 1997 operates as a prescribed standard under the Environments Protection Act 1986 and sets limits on noise emissions and what could be considered as “pollution” or “unreasonable noise”.

The Regulations are fair and set limits which have been carefully designed to ensure that noise from other premises is kept to acceptable levels. The basis for determining the assigned noise levels is the land use where the noise is received. Surrounding land uses are also taken into account. This method recognises and protects the quiet surroundings many of us enjoy, while also recognising the influence of industry, commerce and transport on our noise environment.


Registering a Food Business

All food businesses must comply with the Food Act 2008, Food Regulations 2009 and the Australian New Zealand Food Standards Code.

If you are thinking of starting a food business within the Shire of Kellerberrin, a Food Registration Form is required to be completed and submitted to the Shire prior to operating and it is recommended you speak with the Shires Environmental Health Officer.

The Shire is responsible for enforcing compliance with the requirements of the Food Act 2008 and investigating complaints and reports of food borne illness. A Certificate of Registration is issued to food businesses before may then operate and inspections will be conducted of new food businesses to determine the exact activities, risk of food being prepared, and to check for areas the premises may not comply with the Food Standards Code. The business is subject to annual registration fees. 

Please be aware that planning or building approval may be required for newly constructed buildings, new fit-outs of buildings, and home food businesses. Please contact the Shire for information on whether this applies to your proposal.

Food Surveillance

This area involves routine auditing of any premise (from cafes, restaurants to market stalls and public functions) where foods are prepared and/or made for sale to the public. These food premises must meet the requirements of the Food Regulations 2009 and the Councils Local Health Law. Food sampling is routinely conducted to ensure that all manufactured foods comply with prescribed food standards. All food premises including food vehicles are to be licenced annually by Environmental Health Services.

Food Safety Training

This is an training program that provides basic information about food safety and hygiene to food handlers. For a Food premise to achieve a FoodSafe standard, the premise is audited against food safety practices criteria. If they meet all the food safety practices they are then awarded FoodSafe accreditation.

FoodSafe Food Handler Training Program and FoodSafe Plus are the two steps of the FoodSafe Program providing appropriate, affordable accessible training. Food premises that display this accreditation are demonstrating to the public that they are serious about food safety and hygiene.

Offensive Trades

Offensive trades constitute premises that are associated with the production and/or processing of foods. Establishments include pet meat production, fishmongers and poultry farming etc. These establishments are called offensive because they have the potential to create environmental pollution, a nuisance or could pose a public health risk. These premises are routinely audited and annually licensed by Environmental Health Services.

Trading in Public Places

Stall operators and/or traders must apply to Council for a Trading in Public Places Licence. There are prescribed fees associated in relation to the time frame the licence is required for.

Sporting and charitable organisations are exempt from prescribed fees (and must prove to Council that they are a non-profit organisation) however, that are required to apply to Council for a Trading in Public Place Licence or Application to conduct a Street Stall.

Water Quality

Swimming Pools

Public swimming pools (which includes caravan parks, motels, hotels) have the potential to spread disease or cause injury if not maintained in a hygienic and safe condition. Public swimming pools are routinely sampled for bacteriological and amoebae presence. Chemical parameters are also checked and recorded as the enable the pool operator to maintain the public health standard of the swimming pool.

Effluent Re-Use

The Shire of Kellerberrin operates the effluent re-use scheme. This scheme is audited and routine sampling is carried out to ensure that the effluent water quality is in accordance with National Guidelines for Reclaimed Water. Water from this scheme is used to maintain our oval and sports grounds.

Mosquito Control

To assist in controlling mosquitoes, the following preventative measures should be taken; 

  • Ensure that all duct vents to plumbing installations are fitted with mosquito proof cowl
  • Remove all rubbish, which may hold water from around the yard e.g. old drums, tyres and disused containers
  • Ensure all gutters are clean
  • Ensure that water tanks have a properly fitted lid and treat water with paraffin or kerosene in sufficient quantity to provide a film of oil across the surface.

Complaints and Enquiries

The Shire can provide assistance with complaints and concerns relating to health and public health. Written complaints are required for issues relating to dogs barking and neighbour related concerns. 

If you have any queries regarding Environmental Health please contact the Shire of Kellerberrin’s Environmental Health Officer Laura Pikoss