Pool and spa owners must have a fence (or other approved barriers) which meet the standards of the Building Regulations 2012.
Local authorities are required to carry out mandatory four yearly inspections on pool fencing to ensure the security fencing remains in compliance with regulations.
The Building Commission has produced the following publications to assist swimming pool and spa owners to understand the barrier requirements for swimming pools and spas:
- Thinking of installing a swimming pool or spa?
- Rules for pools and spas
- Changes to pool barrier laws – Industry Bulletin
- Building amendment Regulations (No.2) 2016 – Industry Bulletin
Other information available:
- Pool and Spa Information – Department of Health
- Tips for keeping your pool or spa healthy – Department of Health