Frequently Asked Questions – Building

What do I need council approval for?

  • Pools (above & below ground)
  • Decking around pools
  • Spa
  • Shade Structures (including Sails)
  • Pergola / Patio / Carport / Shed
  • Sea Containers
  • Re-Roof of existing structure
  • Openings in external wall (eg. sliding doors, windows)
  • Internal alterations
  • Conversions of windows to sliding doors
  • Retaining walls

What don’t I need council approval for?

Garden shed to a limit of 3 square metres.

Is there a limit to the size of outbuildings?

The limit for outbuildings is 80 square metres (combined total of all outbuildings), seeking to increase this area is to be considered by Council, on recommendation of the Building Surveyor. Applications received for shed within the townsite with a wall exceeding 3 metres require Council approval as well as seeking comments for owners of adjoining blocks.

How close can I build to my side boundary?

For wall lengths up to 9 metres, the required side and rear boundary clearance is 1 metre. For any wall length exceeding this, the required clearance is 1.5 metres. Generally non-combustable roof sheeting/eaves can extend to 750mm from the side boundary. Alternate provisions apply for corner allotments and you are advised to contact Council’s Town Planning Department in this regard.

How close can I build to my front boundary?

Generally the building line is 6 metres from your front boundary (not the kerb). For any encroachments into the 6 metres, formal planning approval is required (to go closer that 3 metres requires a report to, and approval by Council at its Ordinary Meeting).

What plans do I need to submit with a building licence application?

  • A dimensioned site plan showing the proposed work and any other existing buildings on site.
  • Floor/Roof plan.
  • Elevations of the proposed work.
  • A section or detail identifying all structural components of the proposed work.
  • Council may ask for further information depending on the extent of the proposed works.